Valentine’s Day… You either love it or hate it in our case were somewhere in the middle. We wanted to share with you our best and worst experiences on Love day. Let’s just get the worst out of the way now (rip the band-aid off)
• Being stood up on Valentine’s Day- What’s worse than being stood up on Valentine’s day? Being stood up when you’re supposed to go on a freakin Valentines double date! I should have known better meeting this guy at a bar called “the black hole” but against my better judgement and the fact that we had mutual friends I just went with it (when in Rome right?!) so after weeks of planning and a couple of dates with this guy it was time for our double date with friends. Hours of double texting and calling later, I concluded that this date was not happening. My friends had come and gone and I was left embarrassed and alone on Valentine’s day. 😦 But in true girlfriend fashion I had a backup plan! I reached out to an old flame, ya know just checking on him *insert side smirk* and he came through with gifts and all! Thus restoring my Valentine’s Day and faith in humanity.
• The Valentines’ Day Massacre- Started out as your perfect cliché Valentines date. Went to see a movie and dinner followed. We were seated at the restaurant and ordered our drinks (I was dying to try the pink punk martini) but first I had to tinkle. I went to the ladies room and upon my return little did I know some creep with a whole date was eyeing me as I walked back to the table. Side note: My boyfriend was not having it! His immediate reaction was rage. He kept asking the creep to admit that he was staring and the guy brushed him off. And just like that the fire was lit! My boyfriend pulled the guy out of the booth and started fighting him. Yes, we were kicked out of the restaurant before the appetizers even hit the table.
Now for the good stuff..
• Private Pasta Night- The key to a great Valentine’s day is attention to detail. For me, it was having a private tasting in one of the trendiest restaurants in Maryland and going on a surprise trip to get my outfit for our date night. Pulling up to an empty restaurant, my first reaction was did this man really take me to a restaurant that’s closed?! Did he even plan this at all?! But before I even had a chance to start an argument he told me to get out the car and go inside. I walked in to a full Vietnamese spread just for us from the sparkling plum wine to the spicy glazed pork belly everything was perfect!
• After School Special- We all know how lame it is when Valentines falls on a weekday this particular year it was a Tuesday. And while i wanted to spend all day doing cute stuff with Bae life had other plans. I had spent the whole day working and then had to go to class right after. (Apparently Valentine’s dinner plans does not count as an excused absence) So after class i just decided to go home and chalk this up and just another uneventful Valentines Day. Until i got a text from Bae to stop by his apartment when i arrived i was surprised by balloons, music, and a home cooked dinner. Everything was so thought out and sweet. My Valentine’s Day started out not great but ended quite nicely.
Valentine’s is possibly the sketchiest holiday of them all. So rather you totally killed it or just didn’t get it right. Don’t beat yourself up boo!
Keep it classy!
The Girlfriends ❤️
So were almost to the time of the most the annoying holiday ever! Between the over exaggerated social media posts (why God must valentines fall on woman crush Wednesday) and the anti-Valentines extremists (we know we know valentines is just another pagan holiday used to suck money from us innocent civilians). Whether you’re booed up or bae-less this year. The most important thing is Self-Love! Here’s some girlfriend tips of loving and finding happiness by truly embracing you:
• Positive Affirmation- Self-love starts from the inside out! Whether it’s through leaving motivational post-its around reminding yourself how much of a queen you really are or morning pep talks about how wildly capable you are. The main objective is to remind yourself that you can conquer the world!
• Get Cute Without Reason- We all have those pieces that when you put it on you immediately slay! Whether it’s those killer heels or that bomb matte lipstick (that you paid way too much for). Wear it! Not for anyone else but yourself. We all know you look good you feel good. So, get dressed up and seize the day!
• Find your happy place- Maybe its cocktails at your favorite watering hole or Netflix with Chinese take-out. Do you boo! We all have those things that makes us especially happy. But don’t be afraid to step out of the comfort zone. Explore the different options around you who knows you may find a new favorite!
Moral of the story don’t get all wrapped up in the #couplesgoals you see around you. Love yourself first no one is you and that is your super power!
Keep it Classy!
The Girlfriends ❤
Our first culture creator is Monique Dove a visual artist that aims to evoke cohesion using artistic expression, acceptance of different perspectives, and the love of humanity. The girlfriends attended Monique’s second art exhibition “Freedom of expression and communication beyond lines, bias, traditions, and cultures. Monique uses visual art and poetry to address issues and bring change to the streets of Baltimore. This exhibition was very different from your average art showing. Yes, we viewed prints and sketches but Monique also made time for a q&a session and a get to know the artist segment. Monique was very open and transparent with personal stories explaining where she came from, the work she has done, and what she would like to accomplish in the future. The part that stood out to us the most was her explaining the inspiration for two of her pieces, her best friend being murdered and how art helped her cope with this pain as well as help other who were going through similar situations. Monique not only used this exhibition to showcase her art but also to inspire others to affect change by using their talents as well. Thank you Monique for sharing your art, being a culture creator, visionary, and true light to everyone around of you.
To contact and see more of Monique’s work.
Facebook: Monique Dove
Keep it Classy!
The Girlfriends ❤
For our first edition of Treat yo self! Mondays, we treated ourselves to some cupcakes with a side of cookie dough from Flavor cupcakery in Bel Air, Maryland. Flavor was featured on cupcake wars so we decided to have a cupcake war of our own. Below are the results. Number one being our fav.
1. The Wedding Cake- CHILE! When we tell you, this cupcake had us ready to put a ring on it! A perfect blend of almond cake and vanilla buttercream. Simplicity at its best!
2. The Cookies and Cream- This cupcake is how all chocolate cake should taste! Perfectly rich and the cookies cream icing tasted like we were eating an Oreo!
3. The S’mores- The marshmallow icing paired with the rich chocolate cake and graham cracker crust gave us the warm feeling of a S’more without the campfire. (Cause we don’t do the forest!)
4. The Pineapple Upside Down Cake- The yellow cake gave us Auntie vibes, the pineapple in the middle and caramel icing was a surprising yet needed twist.
Bonus: The chocolate chip cookie dough is lit! Get you some.
Thank you Flavor Cupcakery for treating us on this fine Monday.
Keep it Classy!
The Girlfriends ❤
We started the good food and girlfriends blog as a guide to connect friends through dining, shopping, and exploring. We are a Maryland based blog that aims to highlight modern restaurants, culture, and experiences to be shared amongst friends. This blog started from best friends that decided to go beyond the average weekend hang out spot and create an innovative girl’s night out. We want to share our personal adventures with you hoping you can share some laughs and vibes with your girls too.